- Where is the Fair?
- How much does the Fair cost?
- Reasons Why The Fair Was Held in August. Now in April!
ADDRESS: 5500 West 700 South, Hurricane, Utah 84737 (Google Maps)
DIRECTIONS: Washington County Regional Park. Take I-15 to the Hurricane Exit (Exit 16 — SR-9). Go approximately 3 miles. Turn right across from Quail Creek Reservoir. Look for the flags!
Parking Fee $5 per car. There is NO entrance fee to fair.
Fair is now held in mid-April.
This is a question that came up frequently. There was a lot to understand about executing a county fair.
These were the reasons we had the fair in August:
- It is the traditional weekend for over 50 years — the 2nd full weekend in August.
- We have the best carnival in our area for over 40 years and we contract these dates with them 5 years in advance in order to get them.
- Fruits and Vegetables are at their prime to exhibit in our area at this time. (A big fair tradition.)
- In order for our county to participate in the Utah State Fair, we must have our fair before theirs (2nd weekend in September) then our winners and county display can be included.
- We use soooo many youth in our fair (4-H and FFA and city princess royalties) we need our fair before school starts.
- Every BIG event needs it’s time to shine and advertise. There are big events before our date and after our date — Marathon, Senior Games, Summer Games, Dixie Round-Up, etc. Everyone generally knows when the fair is. Fair time in Utah for all counties is late July and August. We benefit from this because we can buy entertainment and attractions together at a cheaper rate.
- The weather averages between 98 and 106 degrees. Nights are PERFECT! That is when we get our crowds. We have never had a major weather event on this weekend. We have been very blessed. We have three cooled buildings, beautiful night temperatures, a lot of snow cones and bottled water and an atmosphere that is hard to beat! There is much to consider with this big event! Supporting the community and being with the family is worth a little heat!
From the beginning, a fair has been needed in the lives of county residents to build up morale, display talents and wares, and to unite the county. There is no other event that can bring a county together like a fair.
The Washington County Fair Board has adopted this mission statement: “It is the mission of the Washington County Fair to provide one of the best, most affordable events possible in which individuals and families throughout the county can participate with exciting opportunities for education, entertainment and above all, FUN! It is a place where wholesome family activities exhibit the quality of life found in our county.”
The weather in this area is very hot at fair time. The average ever-day temperature is usually around 105 degrees unless we get a thunderstorm that moves in to cool things down. It is difficult to raise and show animals under these extreme conditions. The Livestock show is held in April and uses entire fairgrounds. Another reason is we would need to have another building to host a livestock show.